Tuesday 15 May 2012

Who do you trust to tell your story and help you get to where you want to go?

I have helped people in one way or another in all my choices of work after my first part time job at the age of 13.  One fellow student in my Master's program  once commented that I have prepared all my life for the work I am now doing which is counselling.  I have a sincere liking for people and still adhere to my life guard saving motto, "whomever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man."  When I was studying in my undergrad, I was shocked when our professor told us that in Canada, anyone can post up a sign or shingle and offer therapy without qualifications.  The only rule he said is that you cannot call the client a patient.  We had a few psychology courses under our belt and we were astonished.  I learned fast enough how people could charge so much money with so little qualifications if any.  How often to we ask about qualifications?  It is just assumed.  In the fall, things should change.  People who are offering counselling without qualifications will have to cease and I am glad.  I have always considered that an exploitation of people who are vulnerable.  There is just too much of that in every sphere.  I work under supervision and adhere to ethical regulations from two different organizations.  I need to tread carefully as anyone should working with people.  When I first started providing counselling, I would always say a little prayer and hope I would cause no harm.  That was my nightmare.  With more experience and supervision, I have found that there is nothing more rewarding.  It can be as simple as to have a person being able to open up to another.  In psychology I found the ground work for all I do.  In my Masters I learned about the  various religions, concepts, spirituality and love for others in a more formal way.  I also learned more psychology as it pertains to faith or otherwise.  In my pastoral counselling education I learned how to work with others of different denominations, experience background and various education.  I learned about couple and family therapy, grief counselling etc.. I also received my practicum experience.  In all I felt I was becoming more rounded to not only grow but in growth to help others.  Going for therapy can be very challenging for someone.  I remember one psychologist telling us that someone may just want to speak to someone since the "Aunt Martha" of long ago is gone.  People have no one to confide in.  Others are struggling and don't know why?  There are so many types of therapies that I enjoy tapping into all depending what the needs of the clients are.  If you are looking for someone to help you, check around.  Ask what their qualifications are?  If you want proof, go for it.  Are they being supervised if they are not as yet registered?   Are they working towards registration? Who are they accountable to?  Which organization are they affiliated with?  Are they a fit for you?  Are they qualified to help you with your specific problems?  And most of all, are you comfortable with this person you are pouring out your soul to?  Right now it is my understanding that the arguement is whether a Masters is required or not.  I think that  a Masters is required as a minimum.  What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment