Friday 25 November 2011

Forgiveness

Last week in class, the discussion was about forgiveness.  It raised a lot of opinions, questions, concerns......It forced me to re-examine forgiveness.  I have always forgiven.  Perhaps it is ingrained in my Catholicism.  We studied that forgiveness is a process.  Others who have also studied forgiveness, in detail, thought it could be instant.  I could relate to that as well.  But I raised the question of what is unforgivable?  Was what Hitler did forgivable?  Was the destruction of the twin towers forgivable?  Is a person who has been tortured, mutilated, raped always able to forgive?  Is there an extra burden, expecting a person to forgive?  So many questions.  Think of someone that you are not in peace with and examine what it is doing to you?  Perhaps forgiving someone else, is also about forgiving ourselves?  I know that each time I forgave, I felt better. What do you think?   Something to think about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment