Monday 21 September 2020

Climate Change for Clinicians, Family Therapy Magazine May/Jun 20 pgs 43 -44 by Gioia Jacobson, MA, LMFT - (Spend time in nature from me)

I wanted to share with you a bit of what I read as per the caption. Jacobson states that today about 55% of our population live in urban (city) areas. Anxiety and disorders and depression are positively correlated with living in the city. Contact with nature and green spaces is linked with improved mental and physical health…..Climate solutions are available now, and support psychological health, such as increasing adoption of active commuting, green spaces and clean energy. Positive mental health effects can be viewing nature, sitting in nature and conservation - based activities. Exposure to nature is correlated to reduced psychological and physiological stress. Thank you Ms Jacobson. Now for my input…….One of the things I always or nearly always recommend for my clients is to spend time in nature. Being a city person myself, spending time in nature is paramount and has been since I was a teen. Growing up my parents incorporated it into our lives and I learned that my love of animals domesticated or not was part of that love for nature. Give me a cabin by the water and I would be a queen. However, being a city person I would need it to have everything like electricity, wifi and a great toilet/bath/shower. Why not have a combination of both? I normally suggest as part of self care, walking and better still walking in nature. Some find peace in walking in cemeteries and that is ok. In some cases where people are confined and there is no possibility of park land, I suggest getting a plant or two and taking care of them while enjoying its beauty. My priority at my home is the outside. If I am confined, I can enjoy the trees and flowers and greenery around me. This article stood out to me because I take too much for granted when it comes to knowledge. Somethings which may be obvious to me isn’t to everyone. So, why not spend sometime in nature today? Close your eyes in nature? Name three things you hear. Name three things you actually feel. Now pretend you are opening your eyes and what do you see? When you are ready open your eyes and savour your senses. What do you think? Next week I want to include some of what I read in Psychology today regarding treatment for sexual abuse, for men. After that I will like to return to my notes of social studies. I believe we are still working on, and alternate weeks regarding theology. Have a good week and keep safe. Maintain social distancing, wash your hands frequently, wear a mask to protect others and live life.

No comments:

Post a Comment