Friday 20 July 2018

Theology notes continue (my bad)

It has been quite a while since I wrote about anything in theology and so I will try to get back to that as well. I am returning to my notes: During 1917 - Jews received equality in Russia. From the middle ages to enlightenment, Jews lived in the Ghetto. They learned to survive. For 2000 years they have been pounded upon. 7% of Jews are Orthodox. Three percent of Philippines are Muslim. The Muslim suffers because of Christian tradition. When my professor was living in the Philippines, Muslims were living in the “sticks”. No one could get work at the university with a Muslim name. My professor (during 1980’s) started something which would work for both Muslims and Christians. Theological Issues: Shama - prayer every day (cannot be three persons in one God). Teaching of divinity of God. Jews ask, “Would God have suffered his own son to be killed?” Monotheism If Jesus is God, did we kill God? Claims that is hard to describe to anyone. My prof would not like to describe the trinity. Constantine was doing a political act. 38% of Christians in Canada don’t believe in the divinity of Christ. Jewish conception of Man - Christians and Jews agree there is distance between God and human beings and think this is bridged by body of Christ. This distance must be bridged by human beings. Buddha - First person’s eating does not fill some other person’s body. “I must take the wrap for all my misdeeds.” In Jewish anthropology emphasis is that humans are created in image of God. Humans have two tendencies- to good and to evil (yetsara). There is a belief that the tendency to do good is strong. Judaism - no doctrine of original sin contrast to Roman Catholics or depraved if Protestant. If there is no original sin, you don’t need Christ to come for our sins. To be human (Jewish) is to be imperfect - having many men/women good and very wise but can never be a person perfectly good/wise. Jews believe in free will. If we are helpless is it true to say that we are free? Human dignity remains that humans be free - if you keep trying you can do it. Not to be saved - but call to overcome. It is through sin we come to maturity. We learn from our mistakes. I am a work in progress, therefore if no original sin we can be reconnected with God; amend ways and return to God. This is not only Jewish. This is the rule for everyone. There are no Roman Catholic missions to Jews. Jews are saved through their own covenant (Vatican II). Torah - blue print for Jewish life. There is no authority to say this is the only way that is right. Jewish way (as Ignatius) of finding God in all things. The law is a gift. Jewish view of revelation comes through history. For Jews, Jesus is not the final revolution of God - is continuance. It is for this reason Christianity and Islam is part of the plan. Continued in several weeks with the 18th century - age of reason (I hope you understand my notes). I am typing all notes and then posting them for you as well if you are interested. My objective is to transfer all notes and be rid of the notebooks. I write all notes which is better at retention than typing notes in class or lectures). Next week I want to continue with my Deerhurst seminar. I attended quite a few workshops and I was so lucky that they were all interesting. Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment