Wednesday 13 January 2016

Pastoral - Religion (book review - naught)

I was recently provided with a book named “Rediscover______________” written by an author I will keep nameless. When I read a book, I normally make a remark about it after providing you the name of the author and title of the book. I won’t this time because maybe it is good for some people. I also read the entire book when I make a comment, but this time, though I have read perhaps two chapters, I just have to say something. Maybe people are getting something positive from this book and maybe it is improving their faith. However, I would revise the title to “High on ____________” Or, living in a bubble for the author. It does not surprise me that there is no education credits anywhere for this author on my search of the web, because information listed in this book as fact, is not. There are so many inaccuracies that I won’t even list them. I will continue to read this book because I know it is being circulated at a cheap cost. However, I will discuss my annoyance further with the person who handed me this book. I am sure he did not read it himself. One of the things I have learned in my practice is to first read the book I recommend to someone else, in its entirety and second, to make sure that the entire book is applicable to the person. In any religion there are good people and perhaps not so good people. In any religion there are people within who suffer because of something within themselves or within their families etc…..In other words, regardless of religion there are people within the congregation or among the leadership who are not perfect. That is, because none of us are perfect. There are people out there who do horrendous things in the name of religion which has absolutely nothing to do with that religion. There are people out there who do horrible things to others and say it is what God wants. God has been thrown around as enforcement to the worse of crimes. What is more powerful to say? Everyone does that, everyone thinks that is ok, (which is not valid either and can be talked more about another time if there is interest) or to say God told me this. There are always studies and research if someone claims this so to just randomly say that will give ammunition, to those who blindly need to hear it. I have met the most wonderful Preachers etc, in various religions. Then I have also encountered the not so nice in different religions. Ideally I think there should be a Pastoral Counsellor available for every Church, synagogue etc…..because people have problems and sometimes it also has to do with making peace with their religion choice, rather than just escaping it, because problems suffered are within and need to be recognized and understood. Going to someone for advice when they are being beaten or abused at home in any matter and going to your preacher only to be told that God told her or him to stay in the marriage because that is what God wants or using God to direct another when that is not true I think is an abuse of power. It does not matter what religion a person has or even if a person does not believe in a God, that makes one better than the other. A person who cannot comprehend a God may be helping others and leading a good life and being the best that he or she can be. Another person who believes in God may be torturing others in the name of God. Who is living a better life? I do believe in God. Does that make me better than others? No. My suggestion for the day is if you do believe in God, then try to spend some time alone with God each day. Find that quiet time of reflection and prayer. Regardless of your religion or spirituality spend some time alone in reflection. If you do not believe in God, it does not matter, just give yourself some time to be alone and seek some peace for yourself. Try a breathing exercise if you do not believe in God. Breathe in and count one, two, three and exhale taking more time. Give yourself time to do this when you are feeling anxious. If you want to read something about your religion because you want to follow the religion itself, make sure it is accurate and endorsed, unless you just want to read it for yourself out of interest. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment