Friday 25 April 2014

Busy Week, Adler School of Psychology Open House

I am at a point where I have to pick and choose what conferences to attend and what I should be studying and focusing on at the moment. I base that on locality and how it benefits myself or my clients. Adler School of Psychology was an interest to me when I was exploring my options for grad studies. However, they were not set up at the time in Toronto. I liked it that I would not have to do research and just focus on counselling. I have been receiving emails ever since I first contacted them and they will be setting up a PHD program in the next few years. I am at a stage in life where I have completed all my studies and though I shall always develop and upgrade myself professionaly, I ponder if I should rise to the occassion and pursue my Phd. Yesderday, as I sat having a coffee and bagel for a late breakfast on the run of events I had to accomplish by the end of the day, I looked at an ad in the lobby where I was sipping coffee and watching people come in and out of the building. I quickly scanned the ad. In bold letters the words spelled that in the last ten years of life in Canada it is on average full of sickness. Right there and then I thought that perhaps a Phd, is not in my best interest. I want to have fun. I want to have balance. If you were given ten years of life? How would you spend it? HOw would you live it? What would you do differently? That is what I thought two days ago when I am busy setting up a practice and sorting out priorities. Let's go one day back, when I decide to brave the TTC which I have not experienced for quite a while. Adler in near Yorkville, on Yonge Street. Since completing my studies at U of T, I have not been to Yorkville, which was a favourite meeting and lunching area for some of my friends from school. It looked pretty bare with a few excited tourists, a film crew and little else, unlike the summer activities of people dining out in the patio. There is a hidden gem there on the second floor, a diner right out of the 50's and there is a great pizza place where Italian is not a simulation but authentic. At Adler, a nice breakfast was provided as well as a great lunch. However, I found myself eating chicken which I was informed by a guest was salmon and I do not eat meat. That was new. I cannot remember when I last ate meat accidently. Oh yes I do, it was High Tea. Everyone was friendly and I spoke to one student in the Masters program that raved about her love for her school. It was cozy and it reminded me of my own school at Regis College, where friendliness is paramount. How do you wheel in new students unless they feel welcomed? The Chief Financial Officer introduced himself to me and of course I asked about the availability of scholarships. Tempting; very, very tempting. I have to admit I found most of the lectures a bit boring for my taste. I never refer anyone for business reasons. I do not think that is ethical and say so whenever I am approached for a business proposal. I was beginning to think that aside from meeting an ethusiastic student and eating good food, even if it wasn't marked (I am spoiled at U of T), the day was not as productive as I had presumed it would be. That changed as soon as Carlos Davidovich, Vice President, Executive Coaching, Optimum Talent spoke up. I have never been woken up at the end of the day by a speaker, but this man was riveting. I understood his language. He is a physician from Argentina, who turned to business. He has lived in Europe and he is now gracing us in Canada. It took someone to use physiology as an analogy for me to understand business. That in itself was new to me. I have studied the brain and the human body, the systems etc....all in undergrad and I was being re-aquainted and having a refersher course all at once. He marvelled as he explained that "love" stems from the repitilian portion of the brain and that was new to me as well. I am still processing that and wanting to know more. When his session was over, he begged for more time and it was provided. Who could say no to this man who was offering so much. His, is the only card that I asked for and took from the speakers. The last speaker of the day was also useful for me. I do much of the do nots on the web. My picture has never been professionaly taken and I am certainly not up to date. It is time to upgrade my web or get rid of it as suggested. The day turned out to be very, very beneficial and I walked out at the end of the day with a new perspective. I will be very busy for the next few weeks and then I have to prioritise and implement some updates. What stimulates you? What excites you? What drives you? What are you doing to help yourself? Are you in a runt? How did you get there? What are you doing to get yourself back on your feet? How will you gain control of your life once again? Do you see a needed change in your life? Then why are you not working towards it? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment