Friday 26 April 2024

For Love of Country - Military Police Woman

We met up with the other teams and I carried my cot away from where the others were gathered. I could hear their laughter. You can see a long way in the desert, but I felt that in the dark, away from the others I could hear anyone approaching them that shouldn’t be. I slept with my weapon under my pillow, ready for the unexpected. Nothing happened and the next morning I awoke to the sun. Everyone else was still asleep. I got ready for another day. There is something very beautiful about sunrise in the desert, nothing in sight but sand and sky. When we returned to our own camp, one of the American Military Police told me that some of the American wives complained to him about how I dressed. They thought I revealed too much with my military t- shirt and pants. “What is wrong with these people?” I asked. “We are in the desert, it is hot and I am wearing a military t-shirt and pants. What am I supposed to wear?” I was tired of women, who were not military and not Canadian, complaining. “They are just jealous.” He smiled. I was dressed appropriately so there was nothing further said. I suppose the American Military Police took care of that business. Excerpt From: Silva Redigonda. “For love of country : military policewoman.” www.silvaredigonda.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment